Have Mold in Your House? Reach Out to a Restoration Business

It's important to understand what mold is and why it grows. All molds are fungi, just like mushrooms and lichens, for example. The mold that is toxic to humans is relatively uncommon in the fungi kingdom, meaning most kinds you find in your house or business aren't harmful. However, some molds are dangerous, so any mold you find indoors must be cleaned up and completely removed.

That means contacting a mold damage repair company is almost always a good idea. When you see any frightening amount of mold growth, however, it's smart to reach out for cleanup assistance from professional mold damage cleanup. Certified technicians can help you make sure there is no mold spots in other spots around the house using tools such as hygrometers, thermometers, laboratory-grade mold test procedures and more.

Before you contact mold cleanup specialists, the first step is to stop the mold from getting worse. Turn off any ventilation. Then, work to stop the moisture source that brought the mold in the first place. For example, fix leaky faucets or dry out standing water if you can. The next step is to contain the mold in as small an area as possible. You could tape off the area in question with plastic sheeting, for instance.

Should you get a mold removal company to help or can you do the cleanup by yourself? Beyond thinking about the size of the issue, consider any aggravating health issues you may have that make you susceptible to risk.

Once you've decided, there are important things to do in either direction. If you're doing the work, start with gathering the right safety gear and cleaning supplies. You'll need airtight goggles, clothing items that are easy to launder and that cover your arms and legs, a mold-safe mask and mold-approved gloves that reach at least to your forearms. You will also want dedicated sponges and a disposable tarp or two that can help catch mold spores as you remove them. Mold removal specialists agree that you should not leave drywall that has mold on it anywhere because it can't be cleaned thoroughly. Just don't clean with bleach, especially if you're dealing with a serious mold damage problem. It's mostly ineffective for soft surfaces, afterall, and only somewhat effective on hard surfaces. It's also potentially toxic because it can cause fumes and should not be mixed with ammonia-based cleaners such as window cleaner.

Chances are that if you're worried enough about mold problems to look for solutions on the web, you need certified mold removal technicians service. It is highly recommended that you find these companies in your geographic location, so contact if you live there. Doing this will make certain that you find a company with enough experience.

Before you select any expert, check that they are certified properly and that they are certified by watchdogs such as the Restoration Industry Association, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration and Contractor Connection. You can also make sure the company knows and follows federal mold cleanup recommendations whether your mold is in a business or a residence.

Mold that is allowed to grow sends off spores, which fly like dandelion seeds and can cause damage to spread very quickly. If you don't, mold growths will continue to feast on your home or business and can ruin your possessions. Some types of mold, those that release toxic spores, can also cause sever health problems ranging from neurological damage to respiratory and mold-related infections and ongoing ill health. Mold in the environment can be especially dangerous for infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system such as people with AIDS/HIV or lupus.

The ideal way to mitigate your mold damage is to get professional mold removal assistance. Don't delay.

affordable emergency water damage remediation decatur ga

[Top]