Our Family's Home Suffered Flood Damage That Damaged A Lot of My Valuables. We Contacted a Restoration Company

First, let's go over a quick primer on mold. Every kind of mold is a fungus, and share biology with mushrooms and athlete's foot, for example. The mold that is toxic to you and your family is uncommon in the fungi kingdom, meaning most kinds aren't harmful. However, some toxic molds are dangerous, so any mold you find indoors must be mitigated and completely removed.

Government experts recommend that you reach out to a affordable emergency mold damage repair columbus oh company for assistance if the smelly mold takes up more than about 9 square feet. This is because if you see mold growth, there is probably hidden mold trapped in drywall and crevices and elsewhere.

Before you contact mold removal services, the first step is to stop the mold from getting worse. Turn off any ventilation. Then, work to stop the moisture source that brought the mold in the first place. For instance, make sure damaged roofs are no longer flowing into your attic and restrict the flow of any moisture that has seeped into your basement. The next step is to contain the problem. You might tape off the area with plastic sheeting, for example.

Should you get a professional service to help or can you finish the cleanup by yourself? Beyond thinking about the magnitude of the problem, consider any exacerbating health concerns that make you prone to becoming sick.

Once you've selected a solution, there are important steps to take in either direction. If you're doing the work, start with gathering proper equipment and clothing. You'll need non-ventilated goggles, coveralls that are easy to launder and that cover your arms and legs, a mold-safe mask and mold-approved gloves that reach at least to your forearms. You will also want new disposable rags and a disposable tarp or two that can help trap the mold you get off. Experts agree that you should avoid leaving drywall that has mold on it anywhere because it can't be cleaned well enough. A note on cleaning with bleach: Skip it. Bleach is less effective than other detergents and often doesn't kill mold growth. Most bleach is also toxic and can cause dangerous chemical fumes, particularly if it's ever mixed with substances such as Windex, which contains ammonia. You can get better cleaners at most big box stores.

Chances are that if you're concerned enough about mold problems to do online research, you will want certified a professional mold removal company. Don't choose a mitigation service focused on humid areas.

Check credentials before you hire a mold damage cleanup service. The State Business Licensing Division is a good place to start, and you can check for approval by groups such as as the Restoration Industry Association, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration and Contractor Connection. You may also make sure the company knows and follows federal mold cleanup recommendations whether your mold is in a business or a residence.

You should clean up any mold growth you come across to stop further toxicity risk, and do it now. If not, harmful mold will keep eating on your home or business and can ruin your things. Some types of mold, those that release mycotoxins, can also cause sever health risks ranging from neurological damage to respiratory and mold-related illnesses and generally poor health. Mold in the environment can be especially dangerous for infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system such as people with AIDS/HIV or lupus.

The best way to handle your mold problem is to get mold damage assistance. Don't wait another minute.

[Top]